Monday, August 30, 2010

Acadia - Day 2

The day started out grey and dreary. I got up, took the boys out, and started working on my blanket while David slept.

After breakfast, while I washed dishes, David took the boys on a long walk. He came back, put them in their office and we took a long walk ourselves. We ended up at the beach at Otter's Cove. We watched the tide come in, and I played in some of the tide pools. I saw a crab that was holding a smaller crab, like a momma crab holding her baby. Most likely, they were mating.

After lunch, David and I took a drive. We stopped at Thunder Hole, Otter Point, and a few other places. While we were at Otter Point, a park ranger came up to where we were on the rocks with a group of people following her. We learned why the park is set up the way it is during her talk. This is the only park that is made up entirely of land grants from private citizens.

Way back around 1900, there were a few folks up here that loved this area so much, they gave up a few acres here and there to preserve it for future generations. This is an astonishing thing because the National Park Service wasn't started until 1916. The fact that people had the foresight to put aside land and want it to be federally protected was pretty amazing.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iTouch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers