Sunday, September 19, 2010

Lady Gaga

Well, this past Tuesday David and I went to see Lady Gaga in concert. Even though we had pretty crappy seats, the concert was amazing. I've always been one to be moved by music, but that night, something in me clicked. Especially when she stated talking about how she is working with homeless teenagers who are LGBT and her work to try to get "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" repealed.

I used to think that as gay Americans, we had the same rights as everyone else. That night, it dawned on me how I am a second class citizen since I am not allowed to talk about my significant other like everyone else at work is. It also dawned on me that "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" is nothing more than a legal way for our Government to discriminate against a growing portion of our population. I was so moved, I actually wrote to my Senators to ask them to stand with Senator Reid and repeal a law that Bill Clinton allowed to pass through congress as a "compromise" to a campaign promise he made. You know, I have never been ashamed of anyone that I dated in the past, but I also didn't love them so much that I wanted to take them with me to work functions like I love David.

I also saw the light on another subject that I really still don't agree with, just because I don't agree with the practice at all. But we in the LGBT community deserve to be as miserable in our relationships as heterosexual peoples. Why should I not be able to claim head of household when I bring in more money to the house when we pool our resources like a married couple? It's nothing more than another case of legal discrimination.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers